Glass Boards

Discussion on Legacy and Modern Glass
  1. NikkorGlass
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. Friday, August 28 2015, 10:34 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email
Pictures of a new addition to the lens family.
Attachments (3)
Rate this post:
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Nikonzen Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Great looking lens. I really like the smaller 50s like this lens and always have liked them even over the faster fifties. I'm out on the fence on the pancake units but really I have only been able to mess with an old E that is similar to the pancake 1.8 so I don't know??. Sensor tech nowadays is such that more and more we do not really need the speed and many of the slower lenses are better or perhaps really nice in their own ways at that. A lot of the various focal lengths of Nikkors are like this to me eg. why need the 28/2 or 2.8 when the 3.5 is sufficient even more than sufficient?? Seems like I always end up with all sorts of versions of something anyhow...LOL
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 1
Nikonzen Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Great looking lens. I really like the smaller 50s like this lens and always have liked them even over the faster fifties. I'm out on the fence on the pancake units but really I have only been able to mess with an old E that is similar to the pancake 1.8 so I don't know??. Sensor tech nowadays is such that more and more we do not really need the speed and many of the slower lenses are better or perhaps really nice in their own ways at that. A lot of the various focal lengths of Nikkors are like this to me eg. why need the 28/2 or 2.8 when the 3.5 is sufficient even more than sufficient?? Seems like I always end up with all sorts of versions of something anyhow...LOL
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 2
No Regrets Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Looking forward to reading about your comparison shootout! I love the 50mm focal length so this should be quite interesting for me to read!

Best wishes,
No Regrets
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 3
No Regrets Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Looking forward to reading about your comparison shootout! I love the 50mm focal length so this should be quite interesting for me to read!

Best wishes,
No Regrets
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 4
NikkorGlass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Thanks Bill, looks like I have the Ai and I have corrected the lens title for the thread accordingly! I had to double check what it was I bought, which is in fact the Ai and not the Ai-s.

I need to shoot this one more before providing feedback. Since I have some other 50's I can pit them against each other and see which one wins. I really like the 50 F/1.2 though so a bit of tough competition!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 5
NikkorGlass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Thanks Bill, looks like I have the Ai and I have corrected the lens title for the thread accordingly! I had to double check what it was I bought, which is in fact the Ai and not the Ai-s.

I need to shoot this one more before providing feedback. Since I have some other 50's I can pit them against each other and see which one wins. I really like the 50 F/1.2 though so a bit of tough competition!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 6
Cadaver Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Mark, I thought I'd add some information on this great lens. The long nose 50mm 1.8 comes as AI and AIS. The AI version has serial numbers (1762193 - 2165418 made from 1978 thru 1982) and the AIS had serial numbers (3135197 - 3304551 made from 1981 thru 1985). Another way to tell them apart is the AI version will have f/22 in blue and the AIS has f22 in orange. They share the same optical formula. They both focus down to 0.45. Both have 6 elements in 5 groups, and both are 37mm long. The only difference between the two is the focus throw. The AI is 210 degrees and the AIS is 130 degrees. Of all the manual Nikon 50mm 1.8 lenses, the formula of the long nose seems to have the best reputation for sharpness. I tested my copy of the 50mm 1.8 AIS LN against the highly touted Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.7 and the excellent Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS. The LN equalled the Zeiss in IQ at f2, but was just slightly less sharp than the Nikon 1.2 at f2. This is great performance from a lens that can be purchased for about $75.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 7
Cadaver Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Mark, I thought I'd add some information on this great lens. The long nose 50mm 1.8 comes as AI and AIS. The AI version has serial numbers (1762193 - 2165418 made from 1978 thru 1982) and the AIS had serial numbers (3135197 - 3304551 made from 1981 thru 1985). Another way to tell them apart is the AI version will have f/22 in blue and the AIS has f22 in orange. They share the same optical formula. They both focus down to 0.45. Both have 6 elements in 5 groups, and both are 37mm long. The only difference between the two is the focus throw. The AI is 210 degrees and the AIS is 130 degrees. Of all the manual Nikon 50mm 1.8 lenses, the formula of the long nose seems to have the best reputation for sharpness. I tested my copy of the 50mm 1.8 AIS LN against the highly touted Contax Zeiss 50mm 1.7 and the excellent Nikon 50mm 1.2 AIS. The LN equalled the Zeiss in IQ at f2, but was just slightly less sharp than the Nikon 1.2 at f2. This is great performance from a lens that can be purchased for about $75.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. MF Nikkor Glass
  3. # 8
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.