New Forum Template (10 Oct 2017)

Hope everyone enjoys the new forums template, I think you'll find it much cleaner and easier to navigate!

Enjoy!
MarkA

Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

• Thank you received: 354

NikkorGlass created the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

This is a crazy good lens! Ranks higher on the sharp end than many but not as sharp as the 50 F/1.2 Ai-s I have. I got this lens in E++ condition, so its a pretty fine specimen and I certainly have enjoyed it. This lens has exceptional bokeh and of course at F/1.2 is very versatile!

Its a little bigger than the 50, noticeably fatter and has a lift heft to it as compared to its wider cousins.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 161

No Regrets replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

Looks pristine, Mark. A nice addition to your growing collection!

• Thank you received: 50

the solitaire replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

That is an excellent looking lens Mark! Looks like new. I'm not sure if I am the only one who regrets Nikon continued making and selling the 50mm f1,2 for this long instead of the 55mm f1,2.

The only thing that always got me nervous about the Ai and Ai-S versions of f1,2 Nikkors is that little tab they added to the back which is supposed to protect the glass when the lens is set on the table. These lenses have enough heft to them to bend that tab when placing them on a table without a rear cap. The older S and S.C versions do not have this tab. In fact they have nothing to protect the rear glass which makes me treat my 55mm f1,2 with extreme precaution whenever the rear glass is exposed.

Apart from that tab I would not have a problem buying a 55 f1,2 Ai as backup for my 55 f1,2 S.C. This is one lens I could easily own multiple copies of without thinking that I have money sitting on a shelf unused. These lenses just are that good for what I want to use them for.

NikkorGlass replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

I was hoping my 58 1.4 would get here for the weekend, however, its caught-up in customs. I intend to compare my 50, 55 F/1.2s to my Voigtlander 58 and ole Nikkor 58 F/1.4s. This 55 was a nice score, reasonable price and near minty. Its been a sweet lens so far, and I have no idea why I have gotten so many of these lenses in the 50-58 range. Anyways, a comparison and eventually reviews will ensue to tell the tale of the 50ish lenses! :)

Mark, I would not worry about it too much. Lenses in the 50mm range tend to multiply rather quickly. I own at least 5 that I know of ;)

• Thank you received: 122

anitrone replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

Ditto on the collection of glass in that range for me too! Its a nice walk around lens for me. I love the way it makes images 'dreamy' for the lack of a better word wide open.

The thousand one nights tales is a great read on the history of this lens, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2

• Thank you received: 135

Nikonzen replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

I bet that lens will be great on the Df.

• Thank you received: 241

Brian replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

Nikonzen wrote: I bet that lens will be great on the Df.

It is...

Skate and Fun by fiftyonepointsix , on Flickr

From 1976 lens test- the bars represent all lenses in the group, so all F1.2 lenses with the 55/1.2. The DOT represents the performance of the lens under test. Note that the Nikkor 55/1/2 is a true F1.2 as measured, and a T1.25. The Ashperic Leica 50/1.2 was tested in this group, and set the bar. It is 10x the cost of the Nikkor. Many other "F1.2" lenses are not, the Olympus lens is closer to F1.3. The Nikkor 50/1.2 is more like an F1.25, at least from what I have read.

nikona by fiftyonepointsix , on Flickr

"Scotty, Give me F1.2 and concentrate all focus on the center! The portraits of 430 men and women depend on it!"
"Cap'n, I'm giving it everything she's got, I canna give you sharp edges"...
The following user(s) said Thank You: NikkorGlass

• Thank you received: 241

Brian replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

Okay. Found my 1977 Nikon Sales Desk Reference manual. Which I got in 1977, working at the sales desk.

George Lucas Fans:

The Product Number of the Nikkor 55/1.2 Ai lens is 1138. Now all he has to do is put Chewie in the movie running around with an F2AS with 55/1.2 Ai.

NikkorGlass replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

Here is the 55 F/1.2 Ai Desktop Test:

The exact same scene was shot for the 55 SC, and 50 F1.2 and 85 HC if you want to compare.
The following user(s) said Thank You: No Regrets

• Thank you received: 33

NGAdmin replied the topic: Nikkor 55 F/1.2 AI

Finally getting going again, here are some new pics from the 55 F1.2 from a walk on the prairie the other day, I was playing with the fast end of the lens and some bokeh as well as stopping down for sharpness.

Pano_D81_7586.jpg[/attachment]

Wide open for what it's worth

20171001-DSC_8449 by b j , on Flickr

I hardly ever stop down this lens because I like the magic it gives me when not stopping down

Time to create page: 1.449 seconds